Healthy Red lentil recipe with coconut milk and garlic. Tasty curry!
Red Lentil: 1 cup
Water: 2 cups
Red Onion: 1 (sliced)
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
Asafetida: 1/4th tsp
Coconut milk (thick): 1/4th cup
Garlic Pods: 8-9 (minced)
Turmeric Powder: 1/4th tsp
Clarified butter: 2 tbsp
Red chili powder: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1) Add to the red lentil 2 cups of water, turmeric powder, sliced onions and salt. Transfer to a sauce pan and boil on a medium flame. Cook till soft. Add water to get required consistency. Keep stirring in between.
2) Lower the flame and add coconut milk to the lentil once cooked. Cover and simmer for 3 min.
3) Heat clarified butter in a fry pan. Add cumin seeds and fry for ½ min.
4) Add minced garlic and fry till golden brown on a low flame
5) Add red chili powder and asafetida. Fry for ½ min. Pour this to the lentil mixture.
6) Mix well and remove from heat
1) Do not overheat the oil while frying garlic and red chili powder. Red Chilli fumes will act as an irritatant for your eyes and throat, if overheated. Cook on a low flame.
2) Do not boil the curry after adding thick coconut milk. It should gently simmer on a low flame. Keep stirring in between.
Use coconut milk powder instead of fresh coconut milk. Take 3 tbsp of coconut milk powder and ½ warm water. Mix and add to the lentil.
1) Substitute clarified butter with vegetable oil
2) Substitute coconut milk with 2 tbsp of fresh cream
Garnish with red paprika and clarified butter. Serve hot with Indian bread or Rice.