Famously known as Rajma Masala in north India, this red kidney bean curry is a great combination with rice
Rajma/ Kidney Beans: 1 ¼ cup
Medium Red Onion: 2
Medium Tomato: 3
Ginger: 2 inch
Garlic: 7-8 cloves
Green Chili (sliced): 2
Bay Leaf: 1
Cinnamon Stick: 2 inch
Black Cardamom: 1
Green Cardamom: 3
Cumin Seeds: 1tsp
Roasted Cumin/jeera Powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Red Chili Powder: 2 tsp
Coriander Powder: 3 tsp
Sugar: ½ tsp
Garam Masala Powder: 2 tsp
Clarified butter/ Vegetable Oil (for frying): 2 tbsp
Coriander Leaves for garnish
Salt to taste
1) Soak the beans overnight (approx. 6-8 hrs)
2) Add bayleaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, black cardamom and salt to the beans with 3 cups of water. Pressure cook on a medium flame for 1 whistle and on slow flame for 3 whistles. Approximate cooking time is 25 min. Cool the pressure cooker.
3) Grind ginger and garlic to a paste. Finely chop the onions. Grate the tomatoes.
4) Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add cumin seeds. Fry for 1 minute till it splutters.
5) Add chopped onions and fry till translucent. Add green cardamom and sliced green chili. Fry for 1 minute.
6) Add ginger and garlic paste. Fry for 2 minutes.
7) Add the grated tomatoes. Fry well on a medium flame till oil starts to separate from the mixture. Add sugar. Fry well.
8) To the masala, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder on a low flame. Fry for 2 minute till the oil separates from the masala. Stir continuously.
9) Add the boiled beans and mix well. Mash few beans with the back of the ladle to make it mushy. Let it boil.
10) Add garam masala powder. Simmer on low flame for 3 minutes.
11) Remove from flame
1) Cook the beans well to soften it
2) Beans can be cooked without soaking it but will take longer time to cook in the pressure cooker (approx 40 min).
1) The beans double in quantity post soaking it overnight
2) Homemade cumin powder: Cumin is dry roasted and ground to obtain the cumin powder
Substitute grated tomatoes with tomato paste
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.