A carrot yogurt raita tempered with mustard seeds in coconut sauce; a traditional Kerala pachadi
Carrot: 2 (grated)
Coconut: ¾ cup
Thick Yogurt: 2 cups
Sugar: 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds: 1+1 tsp
Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves: 5-6
Whole Dried Red Chili: 1
Coconut Oil: 2 tbsp
Water: ½ cup
Salt to taste
1) Grate the carrot. Add salt, ½ cup of water and cook till soft (approx 5-6 min)
2) Grind coconut, red chili powder, shallot and 1 tsp of mustard seeds in the absence of water.
3) Add the coconut mixture to the carrot. Cook on a low heat for 5-6 min.
4) Heat oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter.
5) Add curry leaves and whole dry chili. Fry for 1 min.
6) Add the oil mixture to the carrot. Stir well. Remove from heat. Allow it to cool.
7) Add yogurt and sugar. Mix well. Keep refrigerator until needed.
1) Do not overcook the carrot and make it mushy
2) Do not use sour yogurt
Add 1 tsp of chopped ginger during tempering for flavor
1) Substitute shallots with ¼ th of an onion
2) Substitute coconut oil with vegetable oil
Serve chilled as a side dish along with rice