Spicy crispy fried anchovies; excellent as a side dish or as an appetizer
Anchovies: 250 gm
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Black Pepper Powder: 1 ½ tsp
Ginger- Garlic Paste: 2 tsp
Onion: 1 large
Coconut oil: 2 tbsp (optional)
Curry leaves: 6-7
Salt to taste
Vegetable Oil: ½ cup (100 ml)
1) Mix the spices and ginger garlic paste in coconut oil/vegetable oil
2) Coat the anchovies evenly in the spice mixture. Marinate for 30 min in the refrigerator.
3) Thinly slice the onions. Wash and keep aside the curry leaves.
4) Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add the curry leaves. Let it splutter.
5) Add the anchovies. The color of the anchovies changes to whitish on cooking. Stir when one side starts to develop light golden color. Frequent stirring breaks the anchovies separating the meat and the bone.
6) When anchovies develop light golden color, add thinly sliced onions. Mix them well. Keep frying the anchovies till it attains darker shade of brown. Stir it at regular intervals. The onions also turn crispy brown.
7) Remove from the heat on an absorbent paper. On cooling, it should become crispier.
Do not cover the fried anchovies when hot. It will not turn crispy.
1) The fish will continue to cook even after you take it off the flame. Remove from flame when almost done. Do not burn it while frying.
2) Anchovies hold the shape on frying so stir at a later stage after it is almost brown and not at the initial stage.
3) Adjust the spice level as per the desired palette
4) Add more oil if desired
5) You may also marinate the anchovies overnight
Substitute coconut oil with vegetable oil
Serve hot as a side dish or an appetizer along with sliced onions and a dash of lime juice