Kerala style raw mango curry made with coconut milk; easy to make, creamy, and tasty
Green Mango/Raw Mango: 1
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Coriander Powder: ½ tsp
Ginger: 2 inch (julienne)
Garlic: 5-6 pods (julienne)
Green Chili: 2-3 (sliced)
Shallots: 7-8 (sliced)
Curry Leaves: 6-7
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Fenugreek Powder: ¼ tsp
Thin Coconut milk: 1 cup (second extract)
Thick coconut milk: 1 cup (first extract)
Salt to taste
Coconut oil: 2 tbsp (to drizzle)
Vegetable Oil: 3 tbsp
Earthen pot to cook (preferable)
1) Peel the green mango. Slice into long thin pieces. Mix chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Marinate for 10 min.
2) Heat oil in an earthen pot. Add mustard seeds and allow spluttering. Add ginger slices and fry till light golden brown in color (approx 2- 3 min).
3) Add sliced onion, garlic, green chilies and curry leaves. Fry till golden brown (approx 5-6 min).
4) Add marinated green mango. Fry till it turns soft and translucent on low heat (approx 7-8 min).
5) Add thin coconut milk. Simmer on low flame for 10 min. The curry turns creamy and reduced.
6) Add fenugreek powder. Simmer for 1 min. Add thick coconut milk and heat for 2 min. Do not bring to boil.
7) Drizzle coconut oil. Remove from heat.
1) Simmer the curry to reduce the quantity to half after addition of thin coconut milk on low flame to get creamy curry.
2) Do not boil after the addition of thick coconut milk. Heat it through for 2-3 min.
1) Choose semi-ripe mangoes (green-yellow ones) with less sourness for better taste
2) Kashmiri red chili powder is preferred as it is less spicy and adds color to the dish
1) Substitute vegetable oil with coconut oil
2) Substitute coconut milk powder with coconut milk- thin coconut milk (1 ½ tbsp in 1 cup water), thick coconut milk (3 tbsp in 1 cup of water)
Serve hot with rice