Ginger and onion caramelized with chicken to give a sweet and savory taste to the traditional ginger chicken
Red Onions: 2 (finely chopped)
Ginger Grated: 2 tbsp
Tomato Paste: 2 tbsp
Green Cardamom Pods: 2
Black Peppercorns (crushed): 5
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Red Chili Powder: 2 tsp
Coriander Powder: 3 tsp
Garam Masala Powder: 1 tsp
Sugar: ½ tsp
Water: 2 cup
Salt to taste
Clarified ghee/vegetable oil: 4 tbsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
Chicken pieces: 150 gm
Yoghurt: 1 tbsp
Black pepper Powder: ½ tsp
Turmeric: ½ tsp
Ginger Garlic paste: ½ tsp
1) Combine the ingredients (mentioned in the For Marination Ingredient list) for marinating. Refrigerate it for 2 hours.
2) Heat oil in a pan. Add cardamom and cloves. Add grated ginger and fry till golden brown.
3) Add finely chopped onions. Fry till golden brown.
4) Add the chicken pieces. Fry till chicken changes color to brown.
5) Add sugar. Fry till sugar melts and caramelizes. Add half cup of water. Stir and coat the chicken.
6) Add tomato paste and salt. Fry well.
7) Add peppercorns, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Fry well. Add 1 cup of water. Cover and simmer on a low flame for 5 min.
8) Add garam masala powder and half of chopped coriander leaves. Mix well on a medium flame.
9) Remove from heat after 3 min
1) Sugar should caramelize and not burn. Add water after sugar caramelizes.
2) Chicken should absorb the flavor of ginger and onion. Fry this mixture well.
Ginger julienne can be used for garnish
Substitute garam masala powder with chicken masala powder
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Indian naan or Rice