Homemade Pan Fried Lemon Chili Flavored Plantain Chips- Tasty and Crunchy
Green Plantain: 1 (large)
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Powdered Cane Sugar: 1 tsp
Lemon Juice: 1tbsp
Salt to taste
Coconut/Vegetable oil: 5 tbsp (for frying)
1) Peel the plaintain. Wash well with water.
2) Slice the plantain into thin rounds
3) Add turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, powdered cane sugar, lemon juice and salt. Mix well to coat all the slices. Marinate for 10 min.
4) Heat oil in a non-stick fry pan. Arrange the slices in circles starting from the outer end coming gradually to the centre of the fry pan. The chips attain golden brown color and fold inwards when done.
5) Turn the chips using tongs starting from the outer end and frying the chips on the other side
6) Remove from the heat when both the sides attain golden brown color
1) Place the thicker round slices (if any) at the centre of the pan where the heat is high as it requires more time to cook.
2) The color of the fried plantain chips would depend on the added sugar and on the plaintain's ripeness (natural sugar). As a result, the chips can caramelize giving a darker color that may not indicate burning. Nevertheless, care has to be taken while frying the chips.
Kashmiri red chili powder is preferred as it is less spicy and adds color to the dish.
Substitute vegetable oil with coconut oil
Serve hot as a side dish or as an appetizer