Eggplant Stir fry with coconut; made with minimum ingredients. A savory, simple and tasty side dish
Long Medium Eggplants: 2
Coconut (grated): 1 cup
Green Chilies: 2
Medium onion: 1 (finely sliced)
Curry Leaves: 4-5
Coconut Oil: 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
1) Peel the skin of the eggplant. Chop it into ½ inch pieces.Degorge the eggplant for 5 min. Wash twice with water. Add ¼ cup of water and salt. Cover and cook in steam on a low flame. Toss in between. Remove from heat once it’s soft (approx 7-8 min). Keep aside.
2) Grind coconut, green chilies and shallots adding 1 tbsp of water. It should be coarsely ground but not pasty.
3) Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a fry pan. Add finely sliced onions. Fry till translucent and golden brown.
4) Add the curry leaves. Fry for 1 minute.
5) Add steamed eggplant and ground coconut mixture. Mix well. Cover and cook for 8 min. Stir in between. The raw taste to the coconut should disappear.
6) Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Mix well. Remove from heat.
1) Salt leaches out moisture from the eggplant, so don't add water in excess
2) Do not stir the eggplant too much. It would get mushy.
3) The coconut mixture should not be pasty. Ground it coarsely.
1) The eggplant used in this recipe is green eggplant. You can use any eggplant for making this recipe. Preferred are the tender ones as it would have less seeds hence not bitter in taste.
2) Eggplant has a tangy taste and coconut a nutty sweet taste, so adding little excess green chili is good for the dish. Adjust the heat as per your taste.
1) Substitute green eggplant with any other eggplant
2) Substitute 3 shallots with ¼ of an onion
3) Substitute coconut oil with vegetable oil
Serve hot as a side dish with rice