Add green vegetables to your diet with this easy to make chutney made with just 6 ingredients
Cilantro/ Coriander leaves: 2 cups (washed and cleaned)
Mint leaves: 1 cup (washed and cleaned)
Roasted skinless peanuts: 1 tbsp
Green chili: 1-2
Tamarind Pulp: 1-2 tbsp (as desired)
Sugar: 1 tsp
Water: ½ cup
Salt to taste
1) Grind coriander/cilantro leaves, mint leaves, green chili, tamarind pulp, roasted skinless peanuts, sugar and salt. Add ½ cup water and grind to a smooth paste.
2) Transfer to the bowl. Allow 15-20 min for all the flavors to set perfectly to give the best results.
Avoid addition of excess water to prevent runny chutney
1) Peanuts are added to bring thick consistency preventing the separation of water from the chutney
2) Addition of tamarind gives tangy taste
3) Add a layer of vegetable/olive oil at the surface of the chutney in the bowl to prevent discoloration if you wish to store the chutney for longer duration. Store the chutney in the refrigerator and use within 1-2 days.
4) Add 1 tbsp of fresh ginger if desired
1) Substitute peanuts with coconut/skinless almonds/ roasted Bengal gram/ cashews
2) Substitute sugar with jaggery or palm sugar
3) Substitute tamarind pulp with lemon juice (1/2 lemon) or 1 small ripe tomato
Best accompaniment for fritters, Rice, Naan, Indian dosa or vadas, Vegetable Pilaf and Biryanis. It can also be served as a dip and used as a spread on sandwiches.