An Amazing spicy, thick and rich chicken curry, best with bread and rice
Chicken pieces: 150gm
Red Onion (roughly chopped):2
Ginger: 2 inch
Garlic: 6 cloves
Green Chili: 1
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Red Chili Powder: 2 tsp
Chicken Masala Powder: 2 tsp
Coriander Powder: 2 tsp
Coconut Milk Powder: 3 tsp
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves: 4
Crushed Black Peppercorns: 4
Water: 2 cups
Red Onion (finely chopped): ½ onion
Vegetable oil for frying: 3 tbsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
Salt to taste
Yoghurt: 2 tsp
Black Pepper Powder: 1 tsp
1) Marinate chicken with yoghurt, black pepper powder and salt. Keep aside for 20 min.
2) Grind onion, ginger and garlic to a fine paste. Do not add water while grinding.
3) Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a sauce pan. Add ginger, garlic and onion paste. Stir well. Fry for 5 min.
4) Add cardamom, cloves and crushed black peppercorns. Fry for 1 minute till oil separates.
5) Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and chicken masala powder on a low heat
6) Fry the mixture well till it changes color and exudes aroma (approx 2-3 min)
7) Add chicken pieces with the marinade. Fry for 3 min.
8) Add water and salt. Bring it to the boil.
9) Cover and let it simmer on a low flame till the chicken is cooked and the gravy is thick
10) Mix coconut milk powder in half cup of warm water. Add it to the chicken gravy
11) Simmer on a low flame for 2 min
12) Heat oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter
13) Add finely chopped onion. Fry for 2 min till golden brown.
14) Add curry leaves and fry for 30 sec
15) Pour this tempering on the chicken gravy
16) Stir well. Remove from fire.
Do not add excess salt as it is already added in the masala and during marination
1) Marinating with yoghurt, a mildly acidic tenderizer, will soften the meat and add flavor to the curry. Listen to our podcast - Tenderizing the meat (2 Min 11 sec) for more information
2) Replace vegetable oil with coconut oil while tempering, for better taste
3) Add coconut milk if spicy
4) Add extra cup of water if needed
5) Tempering can be skipped
1) Substitute chicken masala with garam masala powder
2) Substitute coconut milk powder with fresh cream
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with Bread, Naan, Paratha or Rice