Green peas with baby corn curry; quick and easy
Frozen green peas: 200 gm
Boiled baby corns: 6-7 (chopped)
Ginger: 2 inch
Onion: 1 (large)
Tomato puree: 4 tbsp
Sugar: ½ tsp
Fresh cream: 2 tbsp
Bay leaf: 1
Black cardamom: 1
Water: 2 cups (250 ml)
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
Red chili powder: 2 tsp
Coriander powder: 2 tsp
Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
Garam Masala powder: 1 tsp
Dried fenugreek leaves/Kasuri Methi: 1 tsp (optional)
Vegetable Oil: 3-4 tbsp
Salt to taste
1) Grind ginger, garlic and onion to a fine paste without adding water
2) Heat oil in a fry pan. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf and cardamom pod. Fry it for 1 min and turn darker in shade.
3) Add ginger, garlic and onion paste. Fry till golden brown.
4) Add dried fenugreek leaves. Fry for 1 min.
5) Add tomato puree and fry till oil separates from the mixture (approx 5 min)
6) Add sugar, turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Fry till aromatic and oil separates from the mixture (approx 2 min).
7) Add green peas and baby corns. Add water. Bring to boil and simmer on low flame for 10 min.
8) Add garama masala powder and fresh cream. Mix well. Bring to boil.
9) Remove from heat. The curry thickens on cooling.
Do not undercook the masala. Fry it till the dish turns aromatic and oil separates from the mixture.
1) Adding extra red chili powder balances the sweetness from tomato, cream and peas. You may adjust as per your desired palette.
2) Add mushrooms or potatoes for variation
3) Remove the whole spices before serving
Substitute tomato puree with fresh tomato pulp (2 tomatoes)
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with banana idiyappams, rice, Indian roti, Naan or bread.