Spicy Indian Mango Curry (Vegetarian)
Sweet and Spicy Ripe mango curry; easy to make recipe
Small ripe mangoes: 6
Water: ¼ cup
Green chili: 2
Sugar: 1 tsp
Fresh Coconut: 50 gm (scraped)
Garlic cloves: 4-5
Cumin Seeds: ½ tsp (lightly crushed)
Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder: ¼ tsp
Fenugreek Powder: ¼ tsp
Water: ½ cup
Salt to taste
Yogurt: 3 tbsp
Water: 1 cup
Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 5-6
Whole dried red chili: 1 (crushed)
Shallots: 4 (thinly sliced)
1) Wash and peel the mangoes. Chop two of the 6 mangoes into small bits and throw away the kernel. Add water, slit green chilies, sugar to the chopped and whole mangoes. Cover and steam on a low heat till cooked (approx 5-7 min).
2) Grind fresh coconut, shallots, garlic, cumin seeds (lightly crush in mortar pestle before grinding), red chili powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and salt with ½ cup water to a smooth paste
3) Whisk yogurt with water for 1 min and keep aside
4) Add the ground coconut mixture to the cooked mangoes. Heat the mixture on a low flame stirring continuously. Remove from flame when it starts to bubble. Add to it the yogurt mixture stirring continuously. Place it back on the heat and heat through without boiling for just 1 min. Remove from flame. Stir for 3-4 min for heat dissipation to avoid curdling of the yogurt.
5) Heat oil in a fry pan. Splutter mustard seeds followed by the addition of sliced shallots, curry leaves and split whole red chili. Fry till shallots turn golden brown. Remove from heat and add to the curry with stirring. Cover and keep aside.
1) Do not boil after the addition of yogurt to the coconut mixture or it will split. It should only be warmed for 1 min in step 4.
2) Warm the curry with continuous stirring while reheating the curry for later use. Do not boil.
1) You can use large or medium sized mangoes for the recipe. Chop at least one large mango into small pieces and add the rest as whole.
2) The curry thickens on cooling
1) Substitute coconut oil with light vegetable oil
2) Substitute shallots with onions. Use only ¼ of an onion for grinding and tempering.
Serve warm with rice, rice noodles, bread, appams