Raw Mango Drink
Sweet and tangy green mango drink is easy to make, tasty and cooling for the summer heat
Raw Green Mango: 2
Lemon zest: 1 lemon
Lemon Juice: ½ lemon
Cumin Powder: ¼ tsp
Dry Ginger Powder: ¼ tsp
Red Chili Powder: a pinch
Salt: a pinch
Castor Sugar: ¾ cup
Mint leaves: 3-4 (optional- for garnish)
Water: 2 + ½ cups
1) Peel the skin of the mangoes. Cut into small cubes. Add lemon zest, cover and steam adding ½ cup of water. Remove from flame once the mangoes are soft and mushy (approx 7-8 min). Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Cool.
2) Blend the steamed mangoes into a smooth paste
3) Add lemon juice, red chili powder, cumin powder, salt and dry ginger powder. Mix well.
4) Add castor sugar. Mix well.
5) Add water and crushed mint leaves. Strain if necessary.
6) Pour into serving glasses
Do not burn the mangoes while cooking it. Keep checking at regular intervals.
1) Add cardamom powder for variation. If you are using cardamom powder, do not use the other three powdered spices.
2) Raw mango drink also called as aam panha, is a refreshing summer drink with cooling properties. This drink can prevent sunstroke, prickly heat rash and summer cold causing sore throat.
Substitute castor sugar with ¾ cup powdered sugar
Serve chilled with ice cubes