Green Plantains deep fried twice to give crispy yummy tostones; a Puerto Rican dish served as an appetizer or as a side dish
Medium Ripe green Plantain: 1
Oil for deep frying
Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1) Peel the skin of the plantain and cut into 1 inch thick pieces
2) Heat oil in a wok and deep fry them to slight golden brown. Remove on a paper napkin to absorb the excess oil.
3) Keep the plantain on an oiled flat board. Oil the back of a cup or a plate and press down the fried plantain flattening it slightly.
4) Deep fry till crisp golden brown on both sides. Remove on a paper napkin.
5) Sprinkle salt and red chili powder
Don’t over fry the plantain the first time. Keep the centre raw as it is crucial for second frying.
1) Oil prevents sticking of the plantain to the pressing board and cup. Remove gently after pressing.
2) Slightly ripe plantain gives better sweetness
Serve with a dip, mixing equal amount of mayonnaise and ketchup