Kerala Style Idiyappams
Nool puttu or Idiyappams flavored with banana is mildly sweet; best served with savory spicy curries.
Roasted Rice flour: 150 gm
Ripe banana: 1 (medium)
Vegetable Oil: 3-4 tbsp
Hot water: 2-3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Scraped Fresh Coconut for garnish
1) Mash ripe/over ripe banana with fork
2) Knead rice flour, mashed banana, salt with vegetable oil and hot water into a smooth firm ball. Use minimum quantity of oil and water. Add at intervals. Use more liquid only if the mixture looks dry. If excess moisture is observed, add excess flour to knead.
3) Grease the idiyappam presser and the steaming containers (idli moulds). Boil 500 ml of water in the steamer.
4) Fill the presser with the mixture. Press through the fine sieves of the mould onto the steaming containers. Place the containers over the steamer.
5) Cover and steam for 10-15 min
Do not add excess quantity of hot water. Knead well to make smooth ball.
You can also make sweet idiyappam by adding little sugar while kneading and serve with milk/coconut milk, for variation.
Substitute banana with Mango Pulp for mango flavored/fruit flavored idiyappam
Garnish with fresh coconuts. Serve hot with spicy curry - green peas-babycorn curry or chicken curry