Homemade Tomato Chutney
Simple and tasty Homemade Tomato chutney. Serve as an accompaniment or a dip
Fresh Ripe Tomato: 3 (finely chopped)
Onion: 1 (finely chopped)
Tamarind Pulp: 1 tbsp
Red Chili Powder: 1 tbsp
Sugar: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Fresh Mint Leaves: 1 tbsp (optional)
Vegetable Oil: 2 tbsp
1) Heat oil in a fry pan. Add finely sliced onions. Fry till golden brown and glossy.
2) Add chopped tomatoes. Fry for 6-7 min. Add salt and sugar. Fry till pulpy (approx 7-8 min). Add red chili powder. Fry for 2 min.
3) Remove from heat. Cool.
4) Add tamarind pulp, mint leaves and ½ cup water to the tomato mixture. Grind to a smooth paste.
5) Remove in a serving bowl
Do not over fry the onions. It should just turn golden brown and glossy.
Add 1 tbsp of chopped ginger in step 1 for ginger tomato flavor
1) Substitute sugar with 1 tbsp of tomato ketchup
2) Substitute onion with a handful of shallots
Serve as an accompaniment or spread with bread, fried chicken or lentil balls