Easy Onion Garlic Peanut Chutney Recipe
15 min Onion Garlic Peanut Chutney with just 6 ingredients- an excellent substitute to coconut chutney for idli/dosa
Yellow Onion: 1 large (thinly sliced)
Garlic: 7-8 (peeled and roughly chopped)
Whole Dry Red Chili: 5
Roasted Peanut: 2 handfuls (skinless)
Tamarind Pulp: 1-2 tsp
Water: 4 tbsp
Groundnut Oil: 1 tbsp
1) Heat oil in a fry pan. Add chopped garlic and fry till golden brown (approx 2 min).
2) Add sliced onions. Onions turns pinkish and translucent initially. Fry till light golden brown and caramelized (approx 8-9 min).
3) Add whole red chilies and fry on low flame for 2 min
4) Add roasted peanuts and salt. Fry for 2 min.
5) Remove from heat. Allow to cool.
6) Take the mixture in a grinder. Add water and tamarind pulp. Grind to a smooth paste.
7) Transfer to a serving bowl
The flavor of the chutney depends on the caramelization of the onions. Do not rush and add salt to speed it up.
1) Adjust the amount of water to get desired consistency
2) Add more tamarind pulp for tangy taste
3) Adjust the number of whole red chili for desired spiciness
4) Roasted peanut chutney recipe without onion and garlic can be found here
1) Substitute groundnut oil with vegetable oil
2) Substitute whole red chilies with fresh green chilies (2 nos)
Serve with idli/dosa or use as a sandwich spread