Caramelized Onion Garlic Red Chilli Chutney
Spicy and tangy caramelized onion garlic red chili chutney with just 6 ingredients in 15 min
Shallots: ½ cup (3 handful)
Whole Red Chili: 3-4 (non spicy variety)
Cooking Oil: 3-4 tbsp
Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
Sugar: ½ tsp
Tamarind Pulp: 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
1) Grind shallots, whole red chili and garlic to a smooth paste
2) Heat oil in a pan. Add the ground mixture from step 1.
3) Fry on low heat till golden brown. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
4) Add salt, red chili powder and sugar. Fry till dark brown in color.
5) Add tamarind pulp. Fry for 3 min. Notice oil separation from the mixture. It's an indication that the mixture is well cooked. Add more oil if necessary.
6) Remove from heat
Check the heat of the chilli by tasting the mixture before adding red chilli powder at step 4
1) Addition of excess of oil preserves the chutney for longer duration
2) Use coconut oil for more flavor
3) Take lime sized tamarind ball in 3-4 tbsp of water to get 1 tbsp of thick paste
1) Substitute shallots with one large red onion
2) Substitute whole chilli with 2 tbsp of red chilli flakes
Serve as an accompaniment with boiled tapioca, rice or Indian naan. It can also be used as a hot spread for sandwiches.