Warmth of the ginger and sweetness of the beetroot in yoghurt makes beetroot raita a sweet and savory side dish. Looks great and easy to make!
Small Beetroot: 1 (grated)
Small Red Onion: 1 (finely chopped)
Ginger: 2 inch (grated)
Green Chili: 2
Plain Yoghurt: 2 cup
Vegetable Oil: 2 tbsp
Sugar: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1) Heat oil in a fry pan. Add grated ginger and fry till golden brown.
2) Add finely chopped onions. Fry till translucent.
3) Add green chili. Fry for 1 min.
4) Add grated beetroot and salt. Sprinkle little water and cook on a low flame till beetroot is soft (approx. 7 min). Stir occasionally.
5) Remove from heat. Cool.
6) Combine beetroot, sugar and yoghurt in a bowl. The texture should be thick. Cool in the refrigerator.
Use extra salt as yoghurt is unsalted
1) Add extra Ginger and Green chili. The sweetness of the beetroot complements with the heat of chili and ginger. Yoghurt mellows the heat even more.
2) Add curry leaves for added flavor
Substitute carrot with beetroot
Serve chilled as a side dish or as a relish with Rice or Bread